Get the Android app:
Version 1.2.0: (2020-12-27)
- Dark mode support
- Settings import and export
- Departures and trip details views reworked
- PTE version from December 2020 fixes the broken VVO provider
Version 1.1.0: (2020-07-15)
- Trip details for public transport departures added
- New send-feedback dialog in the apps main menu
The WalkersGuide app versions up to 0.5.1 are not longer supported.
- Server: git clone https://github.com/scheibler/WalkersGuide-Server.git
- Android Client: git clone https://github.com/scheibler/WalkersGuide-Android.git
The base for the WalkersGuide project was the diploma thesis with the title " “Navigationssystem für blinde Fußgänger und ÖPNV-Nutzer” (“Navigation system for blind walkers and public transportation users”). It was completed at the TU Dresden, faculty of computer science in march 2014.
The thesis starts with a state of the art chapter, which lists current navigation aids for the blind and also covers some related research projects. After that follows a list of user requirements. The main part contains a concept for such a navigation system, based on the priorly defined user requirements. One of the concept’s key components is the integration of the public transportation system into the route calculation process. After a chapter about the prototypal implementation follows an evaluation of the created navigation system.
The document is only available in German and can be downloaded here: PDF and BibTeX.